Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Hedgehogs and docks


Helping a friend reclaim an overgrown garden in Blaenau Ffestiniog, uprooting nettles, reeds and various self seeding shrubs. Stick in the fork, press down, push forward, wiggle it about and out they pop.

I pressed the fork towards some reeds with leaves piled around and prodded a sleeping hedgehog. The spiky ball seemed OK .... no blood, no damage hopefully. As I put it back into the pile of leaves I could see there was another one. I haven’t seen a live hedgehog for years. This was a real treat.

As if that wasn’t enough excitement for one day I dug out the largest dock roots you can imagine  - the full length of my garden fork. Shame there isn’t a competition for the largest dock.  

I logged on to COFNOD, the north Wales record centre, and recorded my hedgehog sightings under the hedgehog survey section. There did not seem to be anywhere to record my amazing dock roots.

No comments:

Post a Comment